SUPERBOWL WHISKEY BBQ PULLED PORK NACHOS
Yes, these are as good as they sound. Tender pulled pork, slow-cooked over 8 hours and then combined with black beans, melted mature Irish red cheddar cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, and of course, tortillas.
But first, a bit of history. In the 1940’s Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya was working in a small border Mexican town Piedras Negras when a group of people came knocking for some grub. But with the maitre d nowhere to be seen, Ignacio rustled up a dish with ingredients that were close to hand. And thus, the tortilla dish with jalapenos and melted cheese was formed. Needing a name, it was called “Nachos Especiales” in honor of its humble creator. And the name stuck.. well, the first part anyway.
SLOW COOKED PULLED PORK
• 2 kg pork shoulder
• 1 teaspoon veg oil
• 250ml good quality bbq sauce (slater over the pork)
• 140ml apple cider vinegar
• 160ml chicken broth
• 50g brown sugar
• 20g chilli powder
• 2 tsp dried thyme
• 2 cloves of garlic crushed
• 20 ml Worcestershire sauce
250 ml whiskey
- Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on slow for 8 hours.
- Cut into 6 slices and pull apart with 2 forks.
- Put the pulled Pork back into the sauce and let sit for an hour.
• Preheat fan oven to 200c
• Pour 250g of grated Mature Red Irish Cheddar
• Place the tray at the bottom of the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted
• Put Jalapenos, beans & Pulled Pork on top of the cheese
• Put it in the oven for another 5 minutes to warm the meat, Jalapenos & beans.